I got the rubrails on the boat. Was going to use cherry wood but my brain bought red oak. It looks good. I'm just going to varnish them. The contrast looks good along with the small oak bow section.
Friday, June 22, 2012
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Friday, June 15, 2012
Thursday, June 14, 2012
I got all the decks on the boat today. There are three. Fore mid and aft. The reason for that is I'm using leftover wood from the two previous Moth boat projects. The fore deck and the mid deck are from one 4x4 chunk of supele plywood. The aft decks are ocume. It's going to be interesting when I clean everything up and put resin on.
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Monday, June 11, 2012
I had to work fast getting the interior bottom and sides glassed. It was over 90 degrees in the shed. I used small amounts of resin, 5 to 7 pump strokes at a time. I glassed in between the battens on the bottom and then did the sides. The resin set up in a half hour.
Friday, June 8, 2012
Test fit the inner deck support. I expected the boat to have friendly design lengths for the wood but that's not happening. The length of those coamings is 8 foot 5 inches. You either buy 10 foot stock and cut it or scarf onto an 8 foot section. I choose to scarf.