Monday, October 29, 2012


Well, we have a full fledged category 1 hurricane crossing Delaware right about now.  We are ok in the middle of the state but the folks who have coastal property had to evacuate.  This is about the lowest barometric pressure I've seen on this gage...

I posted this pix around 3 pm.  Since then the eye of the storm has passed about 20 miles away.
The barometer has since bottomed out.  This reading is just incredible.  You can see the difference.  The top number is on 28.  That's impressive in itself.  The bottom pix the  reading is way below that.  My guess it's 27.6

Sunday, October 28, 2012


I got the inside of the boat coated with resin.  That will seal the wood.  I'll Do a coat of primer then paint.  Not going to be too much happening over the next few days.  We are just waiting for hurricane Sandy to show up.  Raining cats and dogs right now.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Right side up

Didn't think I'd be here this soon.  I wanted to take the boat off the building forms to make it lower on the saw horses.  that would make it better to glass the bottom.  Note to self.  Don't try to take a boat off building forms with out some help.  I was going to nudge the bow off and put it on the ground, then lift the boat off and do the same.  I propped the bow up and moved it over, the whole boat started to turn over.  Nothing I could do to stop it.  So it wound up on the floor.  No damage.   I put it on the horses right side up.  I cut the excess off the shear.  This is one very nice strong boat.  One of the mid deck brace fell off during that exercise.

While I have the boat rightside up I decided to do the inside rails

Rails glued in.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Ready for glass

Didn't get too much done today.  Had honydoos to work on.  I did get the bottom faired to the sides and I got the bull nose on the bow.  While we were over in Annapolis I stopped in  CLC and got 4 yards of 50 inch 6 oz glass.

                                                                        Faired bottom
                                                         Ready for glass

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Bottom is on

I got the bottom glued on the boat.  I used a little bit different fastening routine.  I use bronze annular rig shacked 3/4 inch nails for the perimeter.  In the field along each batten I used 3/4 inch # 8 SS flat head screws spaced about 9 inched apart.  I've decided to glass the entire bottom since I have a split bow section.  Plus the screws made a lot of holes so that will just be some security.   Not going to glass the inside.

                                                                                Rough fit

Bottom faired

Monday, October 22, 2012

Side panels glued on

I got the side panels rough fitted and glued on.  The plans call for screwing and gluing with resourcinal glue.  Back in the day you had to use screws to secure the panel because the glue was not that good.  With today's resin you don't need any mechanical fasteners other that as clamps. I'll take all the screws out after the resin bog sets up.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Ready for panels

I got all the shear clamps sorted and now we are ready for the side panels.  I got some nice birch at Lowes.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Bottom frames

Got the bottom frames attached to the boat.  I had a problem with the shears.  I broke one trying to bend it and the other one broke after it was installed.  Hopefully I got it clamped and glued back together.  The other side I married 3 smaller strips together to make the bend.  That's tomorrows project.  Almost ready for wood panels.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Chine log

I got the chine in the boat.  I used a Come-A-Long to get it pulled together.  You need two. One at the aft end and one midship.  No cracking or poping of the wood so that is a good sign.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Log Chines and Shear Clamps

We're going old school here.  That's what the plans call the chine and shear. Technically that's the correct part name as that's the part that holds the sides to the bottom and the top to the deck.  The plans for the Duck were drawn up probably in the early 60's.  The boat has stood the test of time.  The plans also call for resourcnal glue...

I made both parts from a premium 2 x 4 x 8 that I got from Lowe's.   The wood is spruce and it is relatively knot free.  I'm surprised they sell this stuff.

The short ones are the logs and they are 1"x 1 1/4" x 11'   The chine clamps are 1"x 1" x 14'

The transom is ready for instalation.


Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Snall steps

I got the stem cut out and the transom rough fit.The keel and the strongback holds them all together.   Nothing is glued yet.

Monday, October 15, 2012

New Duck

Well, the first Duck is on it's way to Ohio.  I sold it to a duck hunter... The first thing he said was he is going to  paint the whole boat drab green... Go figure.
So with that in mind I'm going to build another one.  This time I'll paint it green and save the good wood for Moth boats.

I do have a tentative buyer for this boat.    We'll see if that happens.  If not the guy who bought the first one said give him a call and he's buy it.  Said he could sell these boats easy in Ohio.

 Knee brace for the transom

Building forms